Sunday, October 11, 2009

CHEESE!

Looong time between posts again people, sorry about that. I am going to try and remedy that. I've been cooking loads recently just not with my camera around or with the stamina after the meal to tell you about it.

Had to tell you about this though - I made cheese. Real honest to goodness yummy cheese. Mexican cheese.

My Mexican obession has continued unabated over the past year - we eat it at least weekly at the moment. I'm getting pretty good at substituting what I can find locally for the hard to find ingredients and have found sources for just about everything else (god bless the Internet and international shipping)

Mexican cheeses have been more difficult - we've more often than not just skipped them or used sour cream.

Last week Homesick Texan blogged about making queso fresco and I just had to give it a go.

It's ridiculously easy - heat full cream milk to about 90 degrees C or less technically till just before it boils and then add lime juice or vinegar to make curds. I used 2 litres of milk and 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Once the curds have seperated pour the whole lot into a colander lines with muslin. Salt generously and drain for a few hours.

The result is a mild, crumbly cheese that is great on enchiladas or toast with tomatoes. For more detailed instructions head over to Lisa's blog http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: