Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Baking with the little man

My little man is really into cooking. At 17 months he loves standing on a chair in the kitchen with his Dad helping make omlettes. He's very good at stirring but can't be trusted with grated cheese.

I've been dying to do some baking with him - I've ordered some awesome cookie cutters and as soon as they arrive we are going to make some very cute gingerbread.

Today however we made cheese biscuits from one of my baby cookbooks. 'A' helped me roll out the dough and place the cutters. He would then lick each cutout and place it on the tray. These biscuits are ALL his!



The recipe is easy and the biscuits have a good cheese flavour but are a little tougher than others I've had -I think this is due in part to the wholemeal flour and partly to some very enthusiastic rolling! I might try them with half white flour next time. Little A liked them though.



Cheese Men - recipe adapted from Feed Me! by Gerri Dawes

50g chilled butter
50g grated cheese
100g wholemeal flour
1 egg yolk
Scant tsp of mustard
2-3 tsp of milk if needed

Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs

Add the cheese, mustard and egg. Start to draw the mixture together - add milk if necessary to firm a dough.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 mins.

Roll out, cut into shapes and bake for 10 mins in a moderate oven.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: